In his passing the gavel ceremony June 30, Chief Justice Fred Lewis announced his intention to establish a committee to study how to evaluate the performance of Florida’s trial and appellate judges and pass the results to the public.Just a month later, the committee is being organized.The Florida Bar Board of Governors at its July 28 meeting approved, as recommended by the Program Evaluation Committee, establishing a Florida Bar/Florida Supreme Court joint committee to study the hows and whys of judicial evaluations.Program Evaluation Committee Chair Gwynne Young said Lewis encountered a proposal for judicial evaluations at a Bar committee and he “liked it so much that he has already run with it.”Young said the select committee as presented would have eight judge members, eight lawyer members, and three public nonlawyer members. She said the PEC’s only change was to recommend the number of public members be increased from three to five.She also said a neutral, careful evaluation of judges is needed to counteract purported surveys and evaluations being done by narrow interest groups.Bar President Hank Coxe said First District Court of Appeal Judge Peter Webster, who has written on the subject, had discussed the formation of such a committee with Chief Justice Lewis, and Lewis will appoint Webster as chair. Coxe said he had spoken with former Republican state representative and former Solicitor General Tom Warner of West Palm Beach, also an expert on judicial evaluation, and Warner has agreed to serve as vice chair.“There must be a [neutral] means of evaluating judges because special interest groups are doing this,” Coxe said.The board unanimously approved the PEC recommendation to create the new joint committee. August 15, 2006 Regular News Panel created to examine judicial evaluation plans Panel created to examine judicial evaluation plans
Related Phil Ellsworth / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) — Ongoing back spasms is keeping Tiger Woods from competing in his next two scheduled tournaments.“My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down,” Woods, 41, said in a statement Friday. “This is not what I was hoping for or expecting.”Woods began suffering from the back pain last week while he was competing in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic. He ended up withdrawing form the tournament before he began his second-round of play.He will now skip the Genesis Open next week in Pacific Palisades, California, and the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida the following week.“I am extremely disappointed to miss the Genesis Open, a tournament that benefits my foundation, and The Honda Classic, my hometown event. I would like to thank Genesis for their support, and I know we will have an outstanding week,” Woods said.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico
ABC News(CARY, North Carolina) — An audacious smash and grab at a North Carolina jewelry store has been captured on surveillance video.Thieves robbed Artisan Jewelers in Cary, North Carolina, of an estimated $500,000 worth of high-end merchandise in just five minutes, owner Malik Saeed told ABC-owned station WTVD-TV.The masked thieves smashed the glass on the door of a non-operating spa to gain entry to the mall where Artisan Jewelers is located, heading straight to the jewelry store.The surveillance video showed two men using what appeared to be a rock or concrete block to smash the glass front door and enter the store. The men then used a hammer to smash open cases of valuable merchandise, such as jewelry and Rolex watches.The thieves have not yet been found, but they left behind a few clues. One of the men in the surveillance video walked with an unusual gait. Additionally, a few drops of blood were found at the scene.Saeed hypothesizes one of the thieves may have cut himself despite wearing gloves, and said police collected samples of the blood, which could provide DNA evidence for any future arrests made by police.“It’s not only me. I have five employees over here,” Saeed told WTVD-TV in regards to the impact of the robbery on his business. “How are we going to get back on track and make sure we take care of everybody the way we normally do? It’s a massive loss.”Cary police and Saeed are offering a reward for any information leading to arrests.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
By ANEEKA SIMONIS EMERALD Primary School students will take part in the annual Human Powered Vehicle challenge with the help…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.