Share The Town of East Hampton is suing the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation over a permit the agency issued in March that allows the operators of a sand mine to excavate into and far below ground water levels.If the owner is allowed to mine sand and gravel, as has been laid out in the DEC permit, a 110-foot deep, sharply sloped artificial lake covering more than six acres of ground would eventually be created. It is located east of Middle Highway, a little over 300 yards north of Oakview Highway, in East Hampton.The permit was issued despite the fact that the mine is in an area zoned residential, and “is in a designated Special Groundwater Protection Area and Critical Environmental Area,” a press release from the town states.The mine, owned by a limited liability corporation named Sand Highway, which is run by Patrick Bistrian Jr.Town officials are questioning the timing of the issuance of the permit, coming as it did smack in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, following over a year of review and the town’s objections. “The dramatic expansion of the mine is particularly troublesome given its proximity to Suffolk County’s sole-source aquifer, the community’s critical drinking water supply. It is also upgradient of well fields for two public water supply wells for the Suffolk County Water Authority.”According to the town, the expansion of the mine “would not only be an environmental cataclysmic intrusion into the water table that serves as a sole source aquifer for the entire South Fork, but it is patently prohibited by the zoning code of the Town of East Hampton.” The mine, located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, is a pre-existing, non-conforming site. Any expansion of such a site without approval from the town violates the its zoning laws.“We are disappointed that the New York DEC would allow the expansion of this mine in a residential zone and we need to act in order to protect the community’s drinking water supply,” East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc said.East Hampton has retained Daniel Ruzow of the law firm Whiteman Osterman & Hanna. The town board allocated $40,000 for the court action back in April, though that amount can be revisited, if need be.The suit, which was to be filed at the New York State Civil Supreme Court in Riverhead June 25, charges that the DEC did not follow its own guidelines when it issued the permit. The town is seeking an injunction to prevent any expansion of the mine until the legal issues can be squared email@example.com
Rob McIntosh has been appointed Director for Crossrail at Network Rail, responsible for the £2·3bn surface works programme that NR is undertaking for the project. He had joined NR last year as Project Director for ETCS & Traffic Management from Invensys Rail where he was latterly Vice-President, Delivery.
Nigeria Football Federation 2nd vice-president Shehu Dikko has accused former sports minister Solomon Dalung of “giving the NFF a bad name to hang it” during his tenure as minister.The NFF suffered a barrage of petitions and had to endure a deluge of corruption investigations and court summons in Dalung’s time at the helm of Nigerian sports.But Shehu Dikko said most of the petitions against the NFF were instigated by people who “lost out politically” in the federation and were looking to take charge of Nigerian football governing body through the backdoor.The NFF 2nd vice-president made the statements when he appeared on Channels Television’s Sports Tonight which aired on Friday night.The NFF’s reputation – never the most sparkling at the best of times – has taken an intense battering recently owing to various allegations, petitions and corruption investigations against it over the past five years.At one point, the federation was battling corruption and embezzlement charges in several courts from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the now defunct Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP).The attendant negative press and the reactive posture of the NFF painted a picture in the minds of many Nigerians of a football body neck-deep in corrupt practices.However, an Abuja high court struck out most of the corruption charges against the NFF last year and more recently, another refused to join the top hierarchy of the federation to an EFCC case about the misappropriation of $8.4 million FIFA intervention funds.Despite these victories, a perception persists that the NFF under Amaju Pinnick remains less than clean.Dikko, however, contends that the present NFF “has been over transparent” pointing to their practice of publishing their audited accounts as proof of their probity.“NFF has been very, very transparent,” Dikko told the show’s host Austin Okon-Akpan. “How many agencies in Nigeria publish their audited results? NFF does that. How many federations in Nigeria have hired a company like PwC for example [to audit their accounts]?“In fact, this NFF has been over transparent because everything we’ve done [NFF president] Amaju [Pinnick] ensures it is in the public or the worst-case scenario, ensures that information is sent to the government through the minister to say ‘see what we are doing’.”Former sports minister Solomon Dalung was often at loggerheads with the leadership of the NFF and often led from the front in accusing the NFF of corruption.But Dikko said the federation had always been above board in its dealings with Dalung and made it a point of duty to communicate their activities clearly with the former sports minister. “Even the last regime [with former sports minister Solomon Dalung], any money that comes from the NFF whether from sponsors or government, [Pinnick] ensures that a letter is sent to the minister informing him that this money has come,” Dikko added.Dikko said most of the petitioners had a political axe to grind with the NFF and suggested their petitions betrayed had an unhealthy obsession with scrutinising private sources of NFF funding.The NFF 2nd vice-president wondered how people with no knowledge of the NFF’s sponsorship deals could tell that “money is missing”.Shehu Dikko suggested that the NFF isn’t obligated to provide details of sponsorship deals to any “third-party”.“One person will wake up and write petitions to all the agencies in Nigeria and if you look at the petitioners, for example, are normally people that lost out politically in the NFF they are just trying to instigate the agencies.“Have you ever heard any [petition against the NFF] about government money? Everything is about sponsors money, FIFA money, money that we got from the sponsors!“I went to negotiate with the sponsors, brought the money and then somebody will say that the money is missing.“If I sign a contract with a sponsor, it’s a contract between NFF and a sponsor that has terms and conditions that have rights and obligations for each party, that have terms if somebody breaches this is what we should do, then a third party isn’t involved with the contract has no business with it. Only the parties to the contract can petition it.”Dikko was reminded by the show’s host Okon-Akpan that Dalung also accused the NFF of misappropriating N1.6bn approved by the federal government for the Super Eagles’ participation at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.“How can he say that?” Dikko replied.“[The NFF] gave him the breakdown [of how the money was spent]. All those ones are political talk he knows how much was approved, he knows how much was spent. All those are premeditated talks to give NFF a bad name to hang it,” Dikko added.RelatedMore EFCC Trouble For NFF As Pinnick, Dikko, Sanusi Face Fresh ChargesMarch 5, 2020In “Featured”NFF: ICPC Mark Houses Belonging To Pinnick, Dikko Over Fresh Corruption AllegationsSeptember 13, 2019In “NFF”Amaju Pinnick Is Doing Something Right In LeadershipJune 10, 2020In “Featured”
Related Phil Ellsworth / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) — Ongoing back spasms is keeping Tiger Woods from competing in his next two scheduled tournaments.“My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down,” Woods, 41, said in a statement Friday. “This is not what I was hoping for or expecting.”Woods began suffering from the back pain last week while he was competing in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic. He ended up withdrawing form the tournament before he began his second-round of play.He will now skip the Genesis Open next week in Pacific Palisades, California, and the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida the following week.“I am extremely disappointed to miss the Genesis Open, a tournament that benefits my foundation, and The Honda Classic, my hometown event. I would like to thank Genesis for their support, and I know we will have an outstanding week,” Woods said.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico
Jackson County Deputy Mitch Ray conducted a vehicle traffic stop Tuesday morning around 8:00 a.m on a 1994 black Chevrolet pickup. The stop occurred near the intersection of CR 700 East and CR 600 South in Grassy Fork Township.During the stop, Deputy Ray discovered the pickup truck had recently been reported stolen out of Scott County. The driver, Christina Pedigo age 49, of Seymour was detained and placed in Deputy Ray’s patrol car. …Jackson County Detective Ben Rudolph arrived to assist Deputy Ray with the investigation and noticed Pedigo attempting to hide something in the seat she was sitting in. The item was recovered and found to be Methamphetamine. Pedigo was arrested for possession of stolen property and possession of Methamphetamine which are both Level 6 Felonies. She is being held at the Jackson County Jail.Under the law, criminal charges are merely accusations and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
Tigers open Marawood South schedule with 16-point victoryBy Paul LeckerSports ReporterKRONENWETTER — Savannah Schillinger made 9 of 11 free throws and scored 15 points to help the Stratford girls basketball team to its fourth-straight win, a 48-32 victory over Northland Lutheran on Friday night at Northland Lutheran High School.Macie Frueh added 14 points, six rebounds, and five assists, and Kaylee Hollatz and Andie Zuelke each had 10 rebounds for Stratford (4-0, 1-0 Marawood Conference South Division).Northland Lutheran is now 2-2 and 0-1 in the conference.Stratford ended up 21 of 36 at the free throw line, while the Wildcats made just six shots from the field and was 20 of 29 on free throws as the two teams combined for 50 fouls.Stratford plays at Wausau Newman Catholic on Tuesday.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com)Tigers 48, Wildcats 32Stratford 21 27 – 48Northland Lutheran 11 21 – 32STRATFORD (48): Savannah Schillinger 3-12 9-11 15, Taya Nett 0-2 0-0 0, Sammy Griesbach 3-6 4-6 10, Macie Frueh 4-15 5-8 14, Chelsey Gliniecki 1-4 1-4 3, Anna Goldbach 0-0 0-0 0, Kaylee Hollatz 0-1 0-0 0, Andie Zuelke 2-6 2-7 6. FG: 13-46. FT: 21-36. 3-pointers: 1-11 (Frueh 1-7, Schillinger 0-4). Rebounds: 40 (Hollatz 10, Zuelke 10). Assists: 11 (Frueh 5). Fouls: 22. Fouled out: Frueh. Record: 4-0, 1-0 Marawood Conference South Division.NORTHLAND LUTHERAN (32): Beka Edelburg 2 6-10 10, Hannah Kloehn 0 4-4 4, Mesa Haag 0 0-0 0, Sidney Moore 0 0-0 0, Halley Engelbrecht 1 4-8 6, Erin Gast 1 2-2 4, Hailey Russ 0 0-0 0, Melissa Neumann 2 4-7 8. FG: 6. FT: 20-31. 3-pointers: none. Fouls: 28. Fouled out: Edelburg, Haag, Engelbrecht. Record: 2-2, 0-1 Marawood South.