Ryan Hunter-Reay drives during a practice run for the IndyCar race at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on Friday, April 17, 2015 in Long Beach, Calif. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)As if IndyCar officiating wasn’t already difficult enough, Ryan Hunter-Reay has insisted on even more scrutiny.The 2012 series champion and reigning Indianapolis 500 winner said he called on IndyCar to be consistent with its calls in the aftermath of his penalty for a crash in the New Orleans race.“I went over a lot of video with them of similar situations that actually even happened at NOLA (Motorsports Park) that didn’t get even a review, one being the first lap with Will Power and Tony Kanaan,” Hunter-Reay said. “Tony tried an outside move and Will tracked (the car) out and Tony went off in the weeds.”No penalty was called. Nor was a formal review initiated by one of the three stewards overseeing the race.“I just don’t understand it,” said Hunter-Reay, who was penalized three points and put on probation for three races for essentially doing what Power did. “I kind of went through that with them and we talked about a bunch of things, and I let them know how I feel about it.IndyCar’s Hunter-Reay: Honda got a late start“I think they opened up a bit of a can of worms there because it puts them in a tough spot here in the future, and we’ll see things that are very similar to that they have to call now.”This weekend offers a chance for such a predicament. One of the best passing opportunities at Barber Motorsports Park, a 17-turn, 2.3-mile permanent road course on Birmingham, Ala.’s east side, is on the outside of a couple of left-hand corners.Kanaan (by Power in Turn 2) and Simon Pagenaud (by Hunter-Reay in Turn 3) were pushed wide trying to make outside moves approaching such a corner at NOLA, the only other permanent road course to have held an IndyCar race so far this season.IndyCar revamped its officiating process during the offseason, with any of the three stewards able to call for an official review of an incident. If a review is requested, a vote is taken and the penalty, if necessary, is applied based on handbook guidelines established by IndyCar President Derrick Walker.Brian Barnhart is one of the stewards, but as the chief he’s charged with applying the penalty, which in Hunter-Reay’s case wasn’t applicable since all three cars, including that of Sebastien Bourdais, crashed out of the race-ending incident. Walker leads the post-race review process, which is where Hunter-Reay’s beef arises.Hunter-Reay called it “a hard racing incident” but said he won’t give it much thought when the event starts Saturday morning.“I had a good talk with Pagenaud, and we put it all behind us,” he said. “(We’ve) moved on a long ways from Thursday of last week. That feels like two months ago.”Cavin: Scott Dixon still has IndyCar tracks to win atAnother Coyne driverDale Coyne is certainly getting to know a lot of drivers.This weekend, his IndyCar team will have its fourth person in the No. 18 car as Rodolfo Gonzalez, a journeyman at best, will take the seat originally intended for Carlos Huertas, a race winner last year at Houston.Huertas apparently had a financial breach in his contract, and Coyne replaced him last weekend at Long Beach with Rocky Moran Jr. Late in the Friday afternoon practice, Moran broke his thumb in an incident with Andretti Autosport’s Carlos Munoz. Conor Daly took Moran’s place, finishing 17th as he lapped the driver of Coyne’s No. 19 car, Francesco Dracone.Coyne is in for more changes. He has said Dracone only committed to four races, and Barber will be the fourth. Assuming Huertas doesn’t return for the two races at Indianapolis Motor Speedway — the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis is May 9, the Indianapolis 500 is May 24 — Coyne has two seats to fill.Pippa Mann will drive Coyne’s third car in the 500.Defending IndyCar series champ Power in a hole after Long BeachFollowing Clauson on May 24Four-time USAC champion Bryan Clauson of Noblesville could have quite a fan club on May 24 as he attempts a rare Indiana double — racing in the 500 and the sprint car race at Kokomo Speedway on the same day.Signups are being taken to start the morning in Carmel with breakfast, a ride in a police-escorted bus to IMS for the 500, a ride on the bus to the sprint car race and and return to Carmel.The cost for three meals, tickets to both races, an event T-shirt and the bus rides is $150. See Clauson’s website (bryanclauson.com) for details.Clauson will drive a Chevrolet for Jonathan Byrd’s Racing (with KV help) in the 500. He finished 30th in the 2012 race for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing.Follow Star reporter Curt Cavin on Twitter at @curtcavin.
Photo by Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic(LOS ANGELES) — It’s probably not wise to get on the bad side of one of cinema’s most powerful onscreen mobsters, but that’s where Harvey Weinstein now finds himself. Goodfellas star Paul Sorvino has vowed some street justice for the disgraced movie mogul’s damaging the career of Sorvino’s Oscar-winning daughter, Mira.In the wake of the numerous sexual harassment and other allegations made against Weinstein, it was revealed the disgraced movie mogul effectively punished both Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd for rejecting his alleged advances, by badmouthing them to Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, who was considering them both for roles in the films.Paul Sorvino tells TMZ that if the law doesn’t catch up to “that pig” Weinstein, “he will have to meet me and I will kill that motherf***er.” Sorvino explained that the former movie titan would have been “in a wheelchair” if the “furious” actor knew what the executive allegedly tried to pull with his “wonderful, creative” daughter. On Twitter, Mira responded, “My love for my father has only continued to grow since this moment. All the love in my heart! He is the most loving father, the most brilliant actor…the wisest and most human advice giver, & best Grandpa ever!!”Jackson recently revealed to the New Zealand website Stuff that he was told to avoid Sorvino and Judd because they were difficult to work with. “At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us — but in hindsight…this was very likely the Miramax smear campaign in full swing,” said Jackson. “I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women — and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list.”Through his rep, Weinstein has denied any accusations of retaliation.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
Utah football: Troy McCormick adds depth to the Utes’ backfield with his speed Related I’m building trust with the quarterbacks and have got to keep making plays. Every chance I get, I need to make that play, whether it’s down the field or across the middle. – Andre LewisSALT LAKE CITY — With the likes of Dres Anderson and Kenneth Scott grabbing the headlines, Utah receiver Andre Lewis doesn’t get much attention.But the senior wide receiver gives the Utes another good option in their deep receiving corps.Lewis is listed as Anderson’s backup at the X-receiver position. He’s one of several receivers — along with newcomer Tim Patrick, JC transfer Kaelin Clay, sophomores Delshawn McClellon and Dominique Hatfield, and freshman Kenric Young — who will all be counted on to catch passes for the Utes this year.“That group has had a complete makeover since spring,’’ said coach Kyle Whittingham. “Andre, he’s working hard and had some days where he’s really shone.’’Lewis made a tough catch over a defender for a touchdown in a recent practice and also caught a TD pass from starting quarterback Travis Wilson in the Utes’ last scrimmage.“I’m building trust with the quarterbacks and have got to keep making plays,’’ Lewis said. “Every chance I get, I need to make that play, whether it’s down the field or across the middle.’’At 6 foot 3, 208 pounds, Lewis is one of Utah’s tallest receivers. He says his physicality, good hands and leaping ability make him a solid target, especially in the red zone.Lewis is the younger brother of Steve Johnson, who caught more than 300 passes for the Buffalo Bills over the past six seasons before being traded to San Francisco in the offseason. Even though he didn’t play much for the Utes as a junior, Lewis hopes to take a similar path as his brother — as a late bloomer.“Looking at my brother’s story … he went through junior college and played at Kentucky, didn’t play much his junior year, and his senior year he didn’t get a lot of playing time, but still got it done,’’ he said. “Then he was like the last player picked in the draft and got a chance to be a great NFL player. I just hope I get a chance to follow in his footsteps.’’A BROTHERHOOD: Defensive line coach Ilaisa Tuiaki said he’s got a good group of guys on this year’s squad.“I don’t have any guys that are selfish. They are guys that understand that we’re going to do what’s best for the team,” he said. “The best guys are going to play. Outside of that, I’m not going to hate or love you because of the way you play. Everybody is going to love each other because we’re a tight group.“You’re a human being and that’s the way it’s got to be,” Tuiaki continued. “But on the football field, it’s business and we’re competing and after that we’re all brothers.”SALT SHAKER: Senior Junior Salt is a team leader for a variety of reasons. Whittingham said the starting left guard is a high-character guy with a great work ethic and maturity. The 26-year-old, he added, carries himself well.“He’s just a great kid,” Whittingham said. “He’s just the type of guy that you love to have in the program that does everything right, on and off the field.”Whittingham noted that everybody has a great deal of respect for Salt and that’s why he was elected a captain during the offseason.“We just expect our leaders to set the bar and then expect everyone else to live up to that level that they set. That’s the function of a leader — to set the bar and make sure that you can rally the troops to get everyone to rise to that level,” Whittingham said. “There’s nothing really unique or different that we tell Junior that we don’t tell all our leaders. That’s what is expected out of all of them. We will vote for captains and announce them Saturday and I full expect him to be elected again.”EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said that there may be a little bit of live work with the twos on Thursday, but the ones are done with full contact until the season opener on Aug. 28 against Idaho State. … No definitive decisions on redshirts will be made until the fourth week of the season. Whittingham estimates that the Utes may end up with a dozen redshirts, but that is to be determined. … The annual fan fest is set for Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday from 6-9 p.m. … The “Training Camp Olympics” continued with a basketball hoop on the south end zone. Marcus Williams edged Kenneth Scott in a game of “lightning” redubbed “The NBA 2K14 Challenge.”Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Utah camp report: Aug. 20