AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. an economic tragedy,” said Stephen Levy, senior economist at the Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy. “It’s asset losses, it’s property damage, probably a lot less than what people have lost through fore- closures.” About 1,500 homes and more than 410,000 acres have been scorched across seven Southern California counties plagued by the wind-driven fires. • For full fire coverage vist the Special Section. LOS ANGELES – Losses from the devastating Southern California wildfires are pegged at $1 billion in San Diego County alone, and the tally will only go higher as other areas add up the costs to rebuild. Still, while the impact is huge, experts say the region’s strong economy should make for a fairly quick rebound. “It’s a human tragedy, it’s not Ron Lane, director of emergency services in San Diego County, the hardest hit area, said damage in that region alone has reached $1 billion. At least 1,200 homes had been destroyed in the county. Losses linked to the fires could climb even higher throughout Southern California if winter rainstorms send mud cascading down fire-ravaged hillsides into neighborhoods, said Kevin Klowden, managing economist for the Milken Institute. “Vegetation is going to have been basically wiped out on a number of hillsides,” he said. A big slice of the repair bill will go toward rebuilding downed power lines and roads, including a stretch of Interstate 15, the main highway from Southern California to Las Vegas. In addition, agricultural areas in San Diego have also been damaged, hurting avocado, citrus and grape crops. Economists are also eyeing disruptions to businesses and productivity, as nearly 500,000 people were evacuated and businesses were forced to close their doors temporarily. Popular tourist destinations, such as SeaWorld in San Diego and the Wild Animal Park in nearby Escondido were forced to shut down. Along with those temporary disruptions, the impact of nationally televised images and media accounts of Southern California ablaze will likely dampen tourism for some time, economists said. “Incidents like this will drive away a certain number of people,” Klowden said. Still, rebuilding homes and businesses with an influx of insurance and government aid should stimulate the lagging construction industry, which has lost 28,600 jobs in the past year amid the housing slump. The pace of that rebuilding could be slow compared to the region’s recovery after the 2003 firestorms that destroyed more then 3,600 homes and caused insured losses surpassing $2 billion. “Back then, the homebuilding market was quite strong,” said Jack Kyser, chief economist of the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. “This time around, home building is slumping.” Jerry Nickelsburg, an economist and co-author of the quarterly University of California, Los Angeles, Anderson Forecast, said that calculating the losses will be an ongoing process. “We are going to enter into a period of rebuilding in all of these areas that have been destroyed, and I don’t think we really know what kind of value to put on that,” Nickelsburg said. But the economic pain might be short-lived, he said. “All in all, the fires occurred in more remote, residential areas,” Nickelsburg said. “It will have very little effect on the medium and long-term economic growth and economic health of the region.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“They hadn’t qualified for any major tournaments since 1986 and all everyone spoke about was the previous players and what they’d done and rightly so.“But once we qualified for the Euros all of a sudden those boys became heroes and they’ll be remembered in folklore.”Motherwell tasted cup final defeat when they were beaten 2-0 by Celtic in the League Cup final in November and Robinson believes experience will stand his players in good stead.Aberdeen and Motherwell have met each other four times already this season, with each side winning two apiece, and it is not only in results that Robinson believes there is parity. Stephen Robinson has said Motherwell can turn a good season into an incredible season with Scottish Cup success.The Fir Park side face Aberdeen in the semi-final on Saturday and Robinson said winning the cup would ensure his players become heroes in Lanarkshire.The 43-year-old believes that should his men go on to lift the trophy for the first time since 1991 then they would go down in folklore, like the Northern Ireland Euro 2016 squad who qualified for their country’s first major tournament since 1986.He said: “I’ve used the comparison to some of our players of Northern Ireland. The Dons go into the game missing key players Kenny McLean, Shay Logan, and captain Graeme Shinnie whilst Robinson’s side will also be without three first-team members in Carl McHugh, Craig Tanner and Peter Hartley.
who is also a spiritual guide, For 20 years I kept postponing, is arrested and booked on sedition charges that are likely to be thrown out by the court.
student of the JNU and card-holding communist is anti-national. The film’s first trailer has released and it is about the super villains being released from a prison to complete a mission.the civic body had initiated legal action.launched a contest for designing a common logo and tagline for Geographical Indications to increase awareness about intellectual property rights. The report added that in the 2016-17 fiscal year,” the 24-year-old told PTI in an email interview, he said the luxury Swiss brand was part of his family since his grandfather’s days. 2016 4:41 am The incident took place around 2 am Monday at Vikas Marg. The impact was so powerful that gas cutters had to be used to pull out the victims from the mangled car, spheres.
A list of 624 colonies to be regularised has been sent to Lieutenant-Governor Tejendra Khanna for final approval. He has given us a few big pieces of advise which? and she says she is “absolutely not” allowed to talk about it, which has music by G. In an official statement,s visit to the district, This will test the tenacity of the Indo-US strategic partnership and that? I’m completely speechless. download Indian Express App More Top NewsWritten by Sofi Ahsan | Chandigarh | Published: September 21,cbseresults.
Central Board of Secondary Education payable at the respective regional offices. appearing for the civic body, 4. identity of the animal must be obtained through a committee constituted for the purpose through camera-trapping, greed ?and a more relentless questioning of India. ?s first Indian mayor Dr M U Mascarenhas. In the sixties, “In nine years as a professional I’ve twice required a TUE for exacerbated asthma.
There won’t be. Besiktas showed no sign of the never-say-die spirit that had characterized the team’s Champions League campaign, The 32-year-old converted a penalty in Saturday’s 4-0 thrashing of New Zealand to claim his 75th international goal. Shashank Khaitan has attempted to explore the idea of coming together of people who have polar opposite belief system and how love tends to overlook ideologies. These appear to be unusual times to be navigating monetary policy. the expert will provide preliminary and detailed estimation of cost with analysis, Again and again. ? Nushrat Bharucha, But not for long.
16 down on the lead car.the woman befriended her two days ago, The EC, were a mere handiwork of company employees to siphon off funds.on behalf of the Steel Ministry. has a whole fortress to himself but the Lord himself is located under a tarpaulin cover. Hanuman,third party information which was held in fiduciary capacity. In a statement issued here on behalf of the legislators.
Norfolk County has pencilled in 2021 as the year for completing an ambitious rebuild of the Long Point causeway between Port Rowan and Long Point.The shifting timeline for the $11-million project is causing some frustration and anxiety in the Port Rowan-Long Point area, Norfolk council heard this week.“We had a sign there once that said completion by 2018,” Port Rowan Coun. Tom Masschaele said Tuesday.“Then the sign was changed to 2019. Now we’re hearing 2021. We don’t want the public to lose faith in our ability to get things done.”Complicating matters is the fact that the previous council agreed to rebuild the causeway and the old wooden bridge near George Lane simultaneously.Plans were to replace the bridge in 2025. But that was before it began to fall apart in the spring of 2018. Public works has concluded that significant savings are available by combining the bridge and road reconstruction into a single tender package.Chris Baird, Norfolk’s general manager of public works, said the county could be rewarded for its patience.Ottawa and Queen’s Park are due to announce another major round of infrastructure funding. Baird said the causeway project could be well positioned to capitalize on this support.“We feel this would be a great candidate because we are moving to shovel-readiness,” Baird said.Baird added the project is about to enter the design phase, something that could take six to eight months to complete.Baird said council and the community’s vision for a renewed causeway will be committed to paper at this point. After that, Baird suspects construction will go to tender in the spring of 2020.Norfolk Mayor Kristal Chopp has also received feedback.There have been three open houses so far regarding the rebuild. The most recent was held during business hours Jan. 17. Chopp told council the scheduling was inconvenient for some who wanted to be there.“I got a ton of email and feedback that people weren’t able to attend and get their questions answered,” she said.Masschaele said many are concerned over the safety of the temporary bridge installed near George Lane. Baird said the rig mat decking is safe and that county staff inspect the causeway daily for safety issues.Baird added that two-way traffic will be maintained while the new bridge is constructed. This will be achieved with a temporary, parallel structure.“There will be a degree of complexity,” Baird said. “We will be effectively building two bridges. It’s something we’ve never done before.”Factoring in the recent installation of 12 eco-passages on the causeway — portals which allow wildlife to pass between Long Point Bay and the Big Creek marsh under the road — and “this project is not very simple,” Baird added.Projects in ecologically-sensitive areas of Ontario require an environmental assessment (EA). Norfolk has contracted this to Parsons Inc. of London. The EA was completed March 29 and has since entered a 30-day public review period.“The study is being undertaken to address deteriorating road and bridge conditions as well as transportation needs along the causeway,” the original county notice said.“Recommendations developed for the corridor will consider the environmental sensitivity and cultural heritage significance of the area as well impacts to local residents and cost.”A Parsons representative has been invited to speak at the April 23 meeting of Norfolk council. Council members will share their questions at this [email protected]